1995 – Present. Scaftec Ltd– Scaffolding Design Consultants.
- In early 1995 established Scaftec – an independent design consultancy that provides full technical back up for Independent Scaffold Contractors, Main Contractors, Consulting Engineers, Architects etc. Scaftec has Professional Indemnity Insurance cover of £ 5,000,000 and operates from a centrally located base providing a nationwide, offshore and international service.
- Scaftec is an information member of the National Access and Scaffolding Confederation, NASC, having being accepted for membership in 1996. Previously sat on the NASC Technical Committee.
- 2001 set up subsidiary company, Scaftec (Northern) Ltd based in Aberdeen. Contracted to Salamis, Cape Industrial Services and others to provide technical back up for all offshore activities in the North Sea. Currently involved in design and inspection of various scaffold structures within the Ninian, Forties and Alba fields as well as technical audits of procedures and provision of designs and calculations, instruction of on-site operatives in new and current legislation and compliance with required guidance tables. Commissioned by Bechtel to carry out crane boom scaffold support in Tunisia.
- Ad-hoc designs, calculations and site visits are provided for a varying range of customers in the fields of petrochemicals, construction and industrials as well as many of the countries independent scaffold contractors.
- Design work and checking of in house designs for many of the major scaffolding contractors such as SGB Palmers and Kwikform also form part of our workload.
- Preparation of Railtrack Form C certificates for SGB and Palmers drawings and calculations for Balfour Beatty on the Forth Rail Bridge Refurbishment project.
- Expert witness advice on scaffold collapse and failures including close liaison with investigating HSE inspectors.
1984 – 1995. Scaffolding Great Britain ( SGB Contracts )
Scaffold Design Engineer / Regional Engineer.
- Joined the company as a Scaffold Design Engineer within a team of three designers. Duties included site surveys, materials take-offs, design drawings and associated calculations, instruction of site operatives and certification of designed and erected scaffold structures.
- In 1989 promoted to Regional Engineer. In charge of all Design office activities for the Scottish region. Responsible for overseeing all designs and calculations prepared by design office staff – three designers and one apprentice. Close liaison with depot based staff, customers and consultants to ensure that all designs were prepared to required standards and within specified return dates.
- Between 1992 and 1995 sole designer within the Scottish area. Required to provide full design service for 10 operating depots, including town work in Glasgow, Edinburgh and other major Scottish cities. Temporary Roof Design for Plettac Weather Protection Division & Petrochemical work at Grangemouth Refinery. Duties involved scheduling design work, liaising with depot staff, consulting engineers and clients, visits to site for surveys and to establish client requirements; interim site visits to monitor progress and confirm compliance with design; final inspection and certification; visiting depots to audit documentation for Quality Assurance – BS 5750 compliance.
1978 – 1984 Babtie Group ( Jacobs Engineering ) – Consulting Civil & Structural Engineers – Glasgow
Civil / Structural Engineering Technician.
- Structural detailing of Steel and Concrete construction drawings. On site experience – Kielder Dam project, Northumberland & Hound Point Oil Terminal, River Forth, Edinburgh .