2016 – Present, Glasgow Caledonian University
2010 – 2016, Bishopbriggs Academy
Qualifications: Undergraduate BSc Hons Civil and Environmental Engineering
Scaftec Ltd – Scaffold Design Consultants – June 2017 to Current
After finishing first year of university full time Thomas joined Scaftec in June 2017 as a trainee Engineer providing design assistance to the lead Engineers. This has incorporated different engineering sectors and skills. Thomas is now attending university part time whilst working towards finishing his BSc Hons Degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Main duties in Scaftec
• Since joining Scaftec Thomas has become efficient in drafting various system scaffolds such as Cuplok, Kwikstage and Layher as well as conventional tube and fitting scaffolds.
• Responsible for aiding the lead engineer in preparation of calculations and detailed construction drawings in accordance with the relevant guidelines/standards and user’s manuals.
• Responsible for producing various different types of designs from simple house type arrangements to more complex beam and cantilevered designs.
• Thomas is knowledgeable in the use of various computer packages such as AutoCAD, Microsoft Word / Excel.
• Responsible for assisting senior engineers on site visit to meet with clients, inspect scaffolds and survey the sites.
• Responsible for assisting senior engineers with preparation for various designs.
• Other responsibilities include administrative hard and electronic filing.
• Being the client’s first point of contact and directing them to the appropriate engineer.
Memberships Student member of the Institute of Civil Engineering (ICE) 2016 – Present
Student member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) 2016 – Present